funny

Is it just me, or is there hilarious shit happening everywhere? The blog used to be about work. Now it's about life.

Saturday 22 October 2011

100,240 is the Loneliest Number...

100,240.  That’s the exact current real-time balance in my Aeroplan frequent flyer account.  Lots of people have lots more miles than me, but I use mine.  These are the miles I’ve earned this year.  Still, it’s not a huge number when compared to some other road warriors.  My flights are typically short-haul within Canada so I earn 500 miles here and 1000 miles there… I’m certainly no George Clooney in Up In The Air, the movie where he earns his millionth mile and joins a very exclusive club, but I'm no slouch, either.


Most people think that business travel is a perk.  They think it’s exciting, and that it’s something that you earn.  While there are certainly benefits, like the air miles, to be enjoyed later, there is almost nothing that’s exciting about business travel.  My lovely wife, Laura, calls my trips ‘my little holidays’…and I can understand that as a mother of three who is often left alone to parent three growing girls on her own, why she would see a few days away as a holiday.


What Laura and lots of other spouses of road warriors don’t see is the loneliness and boredom of business travel.  They don’t experience the discomfort of eating alone in restaurants.  They don't experience the pleasure of a regular pat-down by airport security.  They don’t experience the joy of turning the water on in the shower of a 4 star hotel and finding somebody else’s short curly hairs stuck to the bar of soap in a shower stall that clearly hasn’t been cleaned.

That actually happened.  I flew to Calgary for a conference at which I was speaking and was booked into a pretty posh place.  After a long flight with lots of delays, a longer cab ride from the airport, and a long wait for a check-in, I got to my room and decided to take a shower.  I went in, opened the glass shower door, and found an open bar of soap with somebody’s short and curlies stuck to it.  One word.  Ewww.

So I called the front desk, spoke to the very apologetic and equally grossed out clerk, and to his credit, within minutes, housekeeping was at my door.  They quickly cleaned the bathroom, exorcising it of all random pubic hair, and took off.  I showered and went out for dinner.  When I returned, there was a plate of chocolate covered strawberries waiting for me with a note from the manager.  A nice touch, but it’s a pretty grody way to have to earn some free fruit.

I am a very loyal hotel guest.  I see the value of frequent guest programs.  I know what I’m entitled to, because God knows I’ve earned it.  If I’m entitled to an upgrade, don’t make me ask for it.  If there’s a speedy check-in process, please make sure it’s speedy.  If I’m entitled to a late check-out or a free breakfast, don’t make me jump through hoops to get it.  And the simplest of all…please, please, please welcome me back.  Having worked in the hotel business for many years, I know how easy it is.  We have computers now…and they tell you everything.  I’ve been staying at the Residence Inn-Westmount in Montreal almost all year, and I have to say, they make me feel special.  They look happy to see me, they ask about my family (I had them there for a few days, and now, almost every time I’m there, they ask about my wife, or the girls), and they know what I value.  It’s consistency, predictability and a friendly welcome.


I once stayed in a hotel in Winnipeg every other week for a year.  I was a platinum member of their rewards program.  Every time I checked in it was like the very first time I was there.  Every two weeks, the same question…”Oh, Mr. Slater, have you stayed with us before?”  I get that I’m ultimately forgettable, but you have a freaking computer that should be flashing at you when I get there.  Every week it was a different type of room-smoking and non-smoking, single beds, double beds, queen beds and king beds.  I think I even had a Murphy bed.  Never a bunk bed.  Sometimes it was up high, and sometimes it was down low, sometimes an upgrade, and often a downgrade.  Occasionally breakfast.  And never, and I mean never, in over a year did I hear the words Welcome Back.  I only stayed there because I could see my office from the front door, and because I was madly banking points in their hotel program.  In a karmic twist, I think they lost their branding, went belly-up, and they’re no longer a hotel.
If you are a road warrior, you’ve likely checked into a hotel late at night and heard the unfortunate words, ”… all we have for you is a parlour.”  A parlour is not as delightful and cozy as it sounds.  What it is, is a hotel room without a bed.  It’s the living room portion of a suite with a pull-out sofa.  When a guest doesn’t want the connecting living room (or parlour), it’s locked off, and when things are tight, and all the rooms with real beds are taken, parlours are given to guests arriving at the end of the night.
I arrived late one night in Ottawa.  I knew the city was busy since I couldn’t get into my normal hotel.  It was after 11pm when I arrived, and I just had a feeling I was going to parloured, as, having been a night clerk before, I’ve parloured many, many late-arriving guests.  Typically with a discount (even free), and breakfast and other amenities to soften the blow of not having a real bed.   Buddy at the desk gave me the parlour look, and said, “Mr. Slater, I have a deal for you…”, to which I responded, “You’re going to parlour me, aren’t you?”  He was completely surprised by my psychic ability, and offered me 25% off and free breakfast to sleep either in a cot, or in the pull out sofa.  I chose the cot, and headed for my room. 


My cot arrived, and my feet hung off the end.  It was so low to the floor that it felt like I was camping.  They also sent me up two bottles of dasani water for my troubles.  Long story short, I couldn’t sleep, and had to be up to deliver a webinar at 7:45 am, which I intended to do from my hotel, before I went to the office to terminate someone, the only reason for my trip.  I finally fell asleep about 6am, and of course the alarm didn’t go off, but miraculously, I woke up at 7:40.  I logged into my computer and dialed into the conference line just in time to welcome the guests to the call.  


I was about 5 minutes into the call as I glanced into the mirror, and in another proud professional moment, saw myself standing there, hair askew, in my underwear, delivering a web-based seminar on the subject of Calculating Return on Investment to a group of customers.  Thank God for everyone that this was the pre-Skype era.  The check out process was brutal because the discount hadn’t been applied, and to boot, I was too rushed for my free breakfast.  It took a half an hour to check out, and by that time, I was late for the termination.  I got to the office, and the employee who wasn’t expecting to see me said, ‘Oh hi, you’re not here to fire me, are you?”, then giggled.  That’s the kind of trip it was.


So, just like in the movie, I have a set of clothes that is always ready to go.  I have my toiletries in the zip lock bag.  I wear loafers to go through security.  I seek out the lines where nobody's going to hold me up.  I use all the privileges I’ve earned as a frequent flier and frequent guest.  While these privileges sometimes make things more comfortable, they don’t make up for being away, they don’t make up for all the time in airports and on planes and in taxis, and they don’t turn traveling for work into a vacation.  And they certainly don’t make up for having to deal with somebody's left over pubes.





No comments:

Post a Comment