funny

Is it just me, or is there hilarious shit happening everywhere? The blog used to be about work. Now it's about life.

Sunday 24 July 2011

My First Brush With Fame

Life was progressing at the fry store, and once I had recovered from the scathing comment by the old dude about wasting my life in a shit job, I settled into a nice routine of work, spend, home, work, spend, home, work, spend, and home, that somehow involved very little school.   I barely recognized that I was squandering an excellent chance for a great education.  If I thought the library coin was good, fry cash was excellent.  

So one day at the fry store, when I should have been at school,  I met the most famous person I had met to date in my life.  Country music legend, Conway Twitty.   



At this point, it’s important to share another reason that I never got laid in high school:  I was a huge country music fan.  Not just country music, but Loretta Lynn.  I don’t know why, but I just loved her, and if you know anything about Loretta Lynn, you’ll know that she and Conway Twitty did some pretty excellent duet work together.  If you want to know what I mean, check out this Youtube by Conway and Loretta – As Soon As I Hang Up the Phone.  You’ll see what I mean.  This is quality stuff, not like Rhianna and whoever happens to be the flavor of the day-not that I have anything against Rhi Rhi, of course.  




Now Conway and who I can only assume to be Mrs. Twitty walked up to the counter, and I knew it was him from the diamond encrusted CT ring on his finger (well before rappers were covering their entire fists and their teeth in diamonds spelling out their names), and ordered some fries.   They had never heard of our company, and wanted to know why we were special.  So we chatted for a while, me, star-struck, him, hungry, and eventually I released him to go sit with his wife and eat his poutine, which by that time was a congealed mess of cold gravy, fries, and cheese.  



I was extremely surprised to see the Twittys come back the next day.  Twenty years later, I still remember Conway’s words…”Sean, I like them fries.”  With that, another order of fries, and Conway Twitty exited my life for good.  And sadly, shortly thereafter, in 1993, he exited life.

So the fry store, like the library, much to my surprise, became my next career.  I worked for a couple who owned two french-fry specific food court outlets in Ottawa, and a couple more in Thunder Bay.  I rapidly moved up the corporate fry ladder, becoming a supervisor, then manager of one of the Ottawa locations, and before I knew it a few years had passed and I was the king of food-court based gourmet French fries.  My parents were thrilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment